In the Name of Allah
IICT: an Overview
Islamic Research Institute for Culture and Thought (IICT), a public and nongovernmental Iranian institute established in 1994, is one of the most illustrious organizations works under the supervision of Ministry of Science, Research and Technology.
Many knowledgeable scholars in various fields of studies in Islamic subjects serve IICT. It tries to use researchers and scholars, make connections with scientific centers and institutes, and provide suitable preparations for cooperation with seminary and academic scholars in order to present new and practical researches. It also benefits from hundreds of great scholars and experts, has presented numerous researches, and has held various scientific meetings, conferences and educational courses.
Since Qom is the largest center of Shiite seminary schools in the world, and the most important Seminary school in Iran, hence, for a more convenient relation with seminary scholars, some scientific groups have been established in Qom office. For this reason, IICT has established two research branches, one in Qom and another in Tehran; the latter is also the central branch of IICT.
* Aims and Trends:
- Theorization and scientific innovation in order for deepening of religious knowledge, as well as the development of strategic and useful research in the field of religious thought, wisdom, culture, and Islamic humanities.
- Deepening and strengthening the cognitive foundations of intellectual discourse of Islamic Revolution and supplying theoretical needs of the Islamic Republic of Iran regarding social and behavioral systems of Islam and the Iranian Islamic model of progress.
- Recognition, criticism, amendment of the righteous heritage of predecessors in the field of religious study, culture, thought and systems.
- Comparative study and active, innovative and methodical criticism of schools and rival theories in the realm of religious wisdom, thought, culture and humanities.
- Scientific Defense of religious wisdom, knowledge and culture and thought.
- Reorganization and provision of suitable and effective principles and knowledge of revelation and teachings of Ahl-e Bayt, according to the new circumstances.
- Training committed scholars who have expertise in the above-mentioned matters.
- Performing authentic and practical works of research, compilation, translation in accordance with the needs of contemporary era in various fields of study as follows:
- Exploring principles and foundations of philosophy, theology and religious thought
- Specifying Value system, principles and characteristics of political, social, cultural, moral, educational and economic systems in Islam
- Exploring knowledge of the western and Iranian-Islamic culture and performing comparative researches about religion, culture, art, and civilization
- Explaining foundations, ideals and ideologies of Islamic Revolution of Iran
- Examination of reasons and effects of any damage to the society, especially the youth, in religious and cultural beliefs, and finding suitable solutions and strategies, in order to compile and publish works
- Scientific review and critique of rival schools of philosophy and responding to their questions and doubts
- Publishing periodicals and scientific Journals to motivate college students and seminary schools, artists, scholars, and other impressive groups in culture of the society and lead them toward the aims of IICT
- Holding research and scientific seminars, meetings and gatherings
- Communicating and keeping an active relation with figures, research and scientific institutions, academic and seminary organizations, mass medias in order to use their ideas, experiences and skills
- Finding, employing and supporting researchers in fields of studies related to the aims of IICT
* Target Groups:
The ones who are potentially target groups for IICT can be categorized into two groups:
- Scholars, social experts and scientists
- The youth and university students
* Strategic Principles:
Chasing research events and trends, and predicting challenges and theoretical needs of nation and state
- Trying to perform an effective managing system and to provide qualified institutional investments and human resources
- Insisting on a specific school of thought that flows in all programs and actions of IICT
- Making efforts for re-elaboration and re-development
- Considering specialization and concentration in the studies, while paying attention to continuity of courses and philosophies
- Making theories and innovations in theoretical and religious philosophies, and criticizing the competing schools and scholars
- Focusing on schedule-based trends and multi-result actions and outcomes
- Taking effective and practical actions
- Creating and innovating new and developed methods and means in communication and research
- Providing the elite class with their needs
- Employing and training the experts and elites as faculty members and research departments' members.
- Designing and executing the educational system based on research
- Utilizing the most of internal and external capacities and strengthening members of academic board of professors to make them more effective inside and outside the country
* Research Centers:
IICT covers four research centers, named “RELIGIOUS STUDIES AND ISLAMIC HIKMAH CENTRE”, “ISLAMIC SYSTEMS CENTER”, “CULTURE AND SOCIAL STUDIES CENTRE”, “RELIGIOUS ENCYCLOPEDIC RESEARCH CENTER” and “YOUTH RESEARCH CENTER”. These research centers comprise several fields of study and their major tasks can be listed as:
- looking for proper subjects of study
- Prioritizing, defining and presenting the drafts
- Confirming researchers' competence
- Confirming the research plans
- Supervising the researches
- And confirming final version of the research
The above duties need to be fulfilled in an exact process. At the moment about 200 researchers work in the academic boards or research Departments full time or part time.
** RELIGIOUS STUDIES AND ISLAMIC HIKMAH CENTRE
- Study of Quran and Tradition Department
- Logic of Religion Understanding Department
- Philosophy Department
- Theology and Religious Scholarship Department
- Mysticism Department
- Epistemology Department
** ISLAMIC SYSTEMS CENTER
- Islamic Economy Department
- Politics Department
- Law and Jurisprudence Department
- Ethics and Education Department
- Islamic Management Department
** CULTURE AND SOCIAL STUDIES CENTRE
- Cultural Studies Department
- History and Civilization Department
- Occidental Studies Department
- Islamic Revolution Studies Department
- Literature Thought Department
** RELIGIOUS ENCYCLOPEDIC RESEARCH CENTER
- Encyclopedia of Imam Ali (A.S.)
- Encyclopedia of Quran
- Encyclopedia of Fatima (A.S.)
- Encyclopedia of the Holy Prophet (p.b.u.h.)
IICT and its related institutions now publish eight periodicals named: “Qbasat”, “Zehn”, “Islamic Economy”, “Ketab-Naghd”, “Zamaneh”, “Islamic Law”, “Al-Hikmah” in Arabic, “Al-Hikmah” in English and “Hashye”.
This quarterly introduces philosophical, social and cultural subjects in religion, epistemology, and Islamic knowledge and systems.
"Zehn" is the only specialized periodical in "Epistemology"
- Islamic Economy
"Islamic Economy" is a specialized quarterly that holds the certificate of Scientific-Research degree given by the Ministry of Sciences, Researches and Technology.
"Ketab-Naghd" is a specialized quarterly that presents critiques and various issues in philosophy, research in religion, culture, politics, law and jurisprudence, etc.
The monthly "Zamaneh" is on contemporary history of politics and thoughts in Iran.
- Islamic Law
This quarterly deals with technical topics about "Islamic Law".
- Al-Hikmah (Arabic)
This Arabic quarterly is on law and economy.
- Al-Hikmah (English)
This English quarterly is on philosophy of religion and research in religion.
Hashye is a monthly journal which focuses on issues relating to young seminary students.
* Post-Graduate Courses:
In accordance with Iranian Ministry of Science, Research and Technology’s guidelines on establishment of post graduates courses by reliable institutes, IICT has applied and is granted the legal permit to hold below courses:
- Criminal Law & Criminology
- Private Law
- Philosophy & Theology
- Islamic Law & Judicial