According to the public relations report of the IICT, the scientific meeting on the topic of “Theology of Resistance” was held on Saturday, October 28th of this year by the Department of Contemporary Theology of the Institute, both onsite and online.
This scientific meeting was followed by the presence and presentation of the Seyed Sajjad Izdehi, Mohammad Baqer Pouramini and Mohammad Kashi Zadeh.
You can read a selection of the speech of Hojjat-ul-Islam Mohammad Bagher Pouramini, the director of the Department of Contemporary Theology;
The theology of resistance is based on religious beliefs and relies on “monotheism”, “freedom in determining the destiny” and “belief in divine help”.
Recent events in Gaza, which began with “al-Aqsa storm”, proved the amazing resistance of the Palestinian Muslim people against the Israeli occupation regime. This resistance can be considered as a blessed in extension of the movement and steadfastness of the Prophets and Messengers of God.
The concept of “resistance” is one of the fruits of the Islamic revolution and its two leaders, and today it is considered as a successful phenomenon and a liberating model. Therefore, this important matter can be discussed in the system of Islamic and theological thought.
Islamic theology has a responsible approach to new theological issues, and “the theology of resistance” can be considered as a theological and religious stance in explaining resistance and rationally defending it.
The main question is that “the theology of resistance” is based on what theological foundations? And what will be the outcome of the foundations in the resistance?
Undoubtedly, “the theology of resistance” is based on the foundations of “theology”, “epistemology” , “guidance counseling”(راهنماشناسی) , “anthropology” and “cosmology”, which is referred to briefly; although each subject requires expansion of discussion.
- firstly, “the theology of resistance” is focused on theology; which means focusing on believing in the sovereignty of God in all aspects of life, in the management of affairs, moving in the way of God and gaining the satisfaction of God, the role of divine traditions in changing destiny. Believing in God ‘s help and assistance is the main pillar of resistance. God guides you, and helps you, and through this guidance, resistance shall reach the highest goals. ” والّذین جاهدوا فینا لنهدینّهم سبلَنا”. The one whose heart relies on God Almighty, he is the most powerful. And with the help of God, no one shall overcome him.
- In the anthropological foundations of the theology of resistance, attention is paid to free will and freedom, unlike other currents of the contemporary century, which is human-centered instead of God-centered. People are reminded that this fight is the struggle of intentions and determination. Whichever side that has a stronger will, he prevails. Responsibility is a social matter. In reforming the society the elite have special roles, and everyone should strengthen the front of the right.
- The main pillar in cosmological foundations of “the theology of resistance”, is based on the fact that world is based on justice, and all should confront the system of oppression. Resistance, as a right, is a reaction against the oppression of the “falsehood front”, and the end of resistance is honor and victory.
- In the guidance counseling foundations of “theology of resistance” , the main principle is belief in the guardianship of the infallible imams (peace be upon them) and their verbal and actual traditions as well as their interpretations. The Holy Qur’an says in verse 146 of Surah Al-Imran: وَکَأَیِّنْ مِنْ نَبِیٍّ قَاتَلَ مَعَهُ رِبِّیُّونَ کَثِیرٌ فَمَا وَهَنُوا لِمَا أَصَابَهُمْ فِی سَبِیلِ اللَّهِ وَمَا ضَعُفُوا وَمَا اسْتَکَانُوا ۗ وَاللَّهُ یُحِبُّ الصَّابِرِینَ
” Many were the Prophets on whose side a large number of God-devoted men fought: they neither lost heart for all they had to suffer in the way of Allah, nor did they weaken, nor did they abase themselves. Allah loves such steadfast ones. ”
After mentioning the history of the Prophets and previous peoples and the secret of their success and victory, and after comforting and strengthening the Prophet ‘s will , the Holy Quran encourages them to persevere in religion. Quran invites to monotheism and commitment to the path of worship without any weakness and says: فَاسْتَقِمْ کَما اُمِرْتَ و من تاب معک (So be straight as you are commanded and those who have come to Allah with you). This order is not only related to the beloved Messenger of Islam (PBUH) and it says that you must persevere, “and those who came with you to God ” must persevere. Allameh Tabatabai believes that the tone of the verse is the tone of violence and there is no sign of mercy in this verse. In other words, God has considered this request as inevitable and has demanded resistance and perseverance from all our believers.
- Regarding the epistemological foundations of “the theology of resistance”, first of all, we must believe in the absolute principles of value in all times and places, that the rightfulness and the front of the rightful ones do exist, and its confrontation with the falsehood front does exist as well. Believing in such propositions means: believing in fighting the oppression, negating tyranny, helping the oppressed and trying to free them from oppression. Therefore, resistance and perseverance will not be a struggle arising from feelings and emotions, but resistance is based on reason, intellect and common sense. This view is against the thinking of the falsehood front, which tries to make any resistance worthless and useless by promoting skepticism and relativism.
Therefore, theology of resistance is based on religious teachings and in all the layers of society, it depends on monotheism and belief in divine help and assistance.
The theology of resistance holds a reliable origin, which is the Islamic revolution, and is accompanied and supported by well-known prominent and successful symbols, such as Martyr Suleimani and fighters such as Seyed Hassan Nasrullah and Hamas resistance in Palestine. They have started a path that will lead to divine help, and this therapeutic prescription can limit the scope of the domination system of the oppression and push it to the sidelines.
إن تَنْصُرُوا اللَّهَ يَنْصُرْكُمْ وَيُثَبِّتْ أَقْدَامَكُمْ
Believers, if you aid Allah, He will come to your aid and will plant your feet firmly.